Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Gift of Making Amends

I got to make an important amend yesterday to my daughter. At least, I thought it was just for her but it turned out to be an amend to myself as well. I took a friend (or more accurately, he took me) to pick up some important stuff I had left behind at my ex’s; mostly I wanted to get my kid’s stuff. Since it was a bit of a drive, my friend and I made a day of it, complete with long, leisurely conversations. After I came back, my kid and I had a wonderful, important conversation of our own.

No need to go into it any further, except to say that I have gained a new respect for the power of the ninth step.

Yeah. It was really good.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:28 AM

    I would love to hear more about ho your child handled your coming out.

    Well done on the amends. It is a powerful step, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has handled it wonderfully. While she hasn't always liked the women I go out with, she has always been supportive of the fact that I'm a lesbian. She has even gotten a little involved in the gay-straight alliance at her high school. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete