Saturday, September 19, 2020

That time RBG came to Santa Fe and got me in trouble with my boss

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was coming to Santa Fe! I was working at the New Mexico Supreme Court at the time. She was speaking at a school or something, and then she was coming to the Court!! 

RBG was scheduled for two events at the Court: First, a luncheon with the state supreme court justices. Second, a Q&A for some women lawyer's symposium (I keep thinking ladies' auxiliary but of course that's not what it was). 

Now, a good boss would have made sure her staff got the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see RBG speak, even if it was remotely from another room. But that day, we were personae non gratae -- to the extent that the New Mexico chief justice acknowledged our existence at all.

My office was right across the hall from the courtroom, so it was hard to miss the hubbub. The lucky attendees filed into the courtroom and, after some settling, the doors closed. 

You could see inside if you put your face right up to the gap between the double doors. I sidled up to the security guard and glued my face to that gap like a beggar looking in the windows of a Waffle House. The guard -- an ally -- said, "why don't you go on in?"

"Uh, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed."

"But," he said, "There are empty seats in there. At least you could ask for permission."

Well, I was wearing appropriate court attire, and there were empty seats, and I was the court-appointed State Law Librarian. So I tagged the woman who had the invitation list and I asked. She said it was probably okay but she wanted to check with somebody else. She disappeared, and after about five minutes, she returned and told me I could go in. 

Score! I took a seat in the back. 

Now, I don't remember what RBG talked about, except that she was wonderful. I was just thrilled to be in her presence, albeit a little uneasy. I confess I was also a little contemptuous of the privileged women surrounding me who had managed to get into this gig legitimately. 

The chief justice glanced my way while she was introducing Justice Ginsburg. She didn't glare, but she didn't smile, either, which made me even more uneasy. Still, I drank in RBG's wisdom and kindness, and when she was done, I eased out the door (I correctly calculated that I shouldn't stay for the group picture). 

I don't know who told the invitation lady that I could go in. I do know, however, that it wasn't the chief justice. She came to my office a couple of days later -- the only time during my tenure that she did so. 

She was furious. 

I explained that I had gotten permission, and I explained that the lady who gave me permission had gotten permission. She wanted names, which of course I didn't have. 

In any event, she didn't particularly care how I had gotten in, just that I had. So I apologized. And I apologized some more. And then I sent an email apologizing deeply and sincerely. I pretty much prostrated myself while genuflecting. It didn't make any difference. I lost an important ally that day. 

But given the chance for a do-over? 

Yeah, you guessed right. I didn't regret it then, and I don't regret it now. 

Rest in power, RBG.

1 comment:

  1. You would of made RBG proud. What a jerk your boss was to make a big deal out of that.

    ReplyDelete