Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Oh, Dancing, Happy Librarian Feet!!!

I’ve been keeping a terrible secret from all of you – a secret so dark, so shameful that I really should send it to PostScript rather than confessing it to you here.  

Ok.  Here it is.  Ahem.  

I’m not a real librarian.  

I mean, I’ve been working as a librarian, and I’ve taken all the courses and everything, but when I finished my master’s coursework in 2002 (or was it 2003?) I, um, owed the university money.  And since it wasn’t part of my federal loans, they wouldn’t give me my degree until it was 100% paid off.  

Which meant that I did not have that coveted credential that is the sine qua non of library-job riches (an oxymoron if ever I heard one):  

You must have an MLS degree from an ALA-accredited school.” (in job listings, this is always written with a sneer).  

But guess what!  I’m making the last payment tomorrow!!!!!  So now I will be a bona fide, real-live, snob-worthy, I’m-better-than-you-are-because-I-have-a-goddamned-piece-of-paper university-issue librarian!  

Bwahahahahaha!

3 comments:

  1. Whee. Hooray for you and happy Hallmark Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!

    Yeah, gotta love the cost of that silly piece of parchment. ALA accreditation just means the ALA thought your program was nifty. It's a real racket, and, for the most part, is meant to preserve the librarian inferiority complex.

    Welcome to the club, anyway. Gotta love grad school debt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:31 PM

    WooHOO!

    ReplyDelete