Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Shooting in raw.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Tax refund! I paid some bills and still had enough to do something I've wanted to do for many years: get a decent camera (in other words, something other than my phone or a cheap point-and-shoot). And boy, am I having a good time with it!

After a shitload of research, I decided on a Canon M50, which is basically an entry-level mirrorless camera. It's smaller than a DSLR but otherwise does pretty much the same stuff. So I've been voraciously consuming YouTube videos on all things photographic (as well as videographic). And I've made a wonderful, wonderful discovery: Shooting in raw.

Oh. My. God.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I guess raw files contain a lot more information than jpeg files (which I guess you can think of as regular digital pictures), so you can do a lot more in post production. In fact, you can pretty much work miracles. Plus, you get to use words like "post production," which makes you sound cooler than maybe you actually are.

Here's the picture I took (Yes, yes, I know it's just my bathroom ceiling. Whatever.):



I took the raw file, worked with it in Lightbook, and I turned it into this, which is actually what my eyes were seeing at the time I took the shot:


I mean, it's just fucking awesome, is all, and now I'm hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment