Monday, December 02, 2019

On college finals and life in general

It's time for my bi-annual email to our library student workers. Since I'm actively blogging these days, and since now I'm a student myself, I'm posting it (again) here as well.   

I want to convey my thanks to the students who have done such great work for the Library. I'd also like to offer some advice. (Hey. I'm a mother. It's what I do.) 

As you head into finals, I know that you are facing a lot of pressure: pressure to study, pressure to get good grades, pressure to handle schoolwork and career and family, pressure to know everything!

Now, I’m not about to tell you to blow off your exams. But please keep things in perspective. Your grades are important, but they are not nearly as important as holding a child, watching a sunset, or counting your blessings. By the time the Hale-Bopp Comet comes around again (in about 2,400 years), no one will care if you got a C in English 101, or if you ranked last instead of first. Indeed, in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter whether you graduate at all.

What does matter – and what actually might matter in 2,400 years – is how you live your life. Not after you graduate, but today. Did you hug your loved ones? Did you treat yourself and others with dignity? Did you play fair? Did you take time out to listen to the people you care about? When things got so rough you couldn’t help yourself, did you give others the honor of helping you? Did you pass that favor on when things eased up? Did you do your reasonable best?

Many years ago I lost one of my students to suicide. Melissa was so loved that if she had just said one word – help – dozens of friends and family members would have been at her side instantly. Sadly, she never said a word to anyone.

Please don’t let life get so hard that it seems unbearable. And if it does, please – please – tell someone you need help.

Let college take your time and your energy. But don’t let it take your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment